A few busy months ago, I was contacted by the lovely Amy of Mod Podge Rocks to see if I wanted to participate in a super duper Plaid sponsored giveaway. Yes, yes, yes! I really did want to participate for so many reasons, but especially because it coincided with a new little project I was busy developing.
Please meet my Story Trading Discs. They are kind of like those art cards that people trade, but they are smaller, and are meant to have one, simple collaged image on each disc. Kids can tell stories with them, trade them, or store them up in a shoebox like I was known to do with my kid collections.
I was designing this project right at the time when my children were going back to school, which led me to think about all of the silly little trinkets and bobbles that occupied my kid brain space for hours and hours many moons ago. I collected plastic charms, garbage pail kids, stickers, black rubber bracelets, and pencil tops (not all at once, mind you). I'd trade them, but mostly I'd just sift through them while admiring all of the images and colors and shapes. And, so, I figured that it would be really fun to make a handmade version, for trading and admiring.
1. Paint the discs with bright, interesting colors. Set them out to dry.
2. In the meantime, draw and cut out simple images from fabric and/or paper. Plan on having one image or small set of images (think bowl & spoon) per disc. When dreaming up designs, think about engaging shapes and people and things that will get kids thinking and imagining.
I like to use buttons as stencils for faces. Isn't Chick's hand still chubby and baby like. You guys, she is 5 1/2! How lucky am I?
3. Once the discs are dry, choose one and coat it with a thin layer of Mod Podge. Use your fingers and a tooth pick to place all of the pieces of an image onto the disc. Coat the image with a layer of Mod Podge and set out to dry. It will look white and gluey, but don't fret because it will dry clear and beautiful.
4. After they are dry, you might want to give your discs an extra coat of Mod Podge for protection and longevity. After all, they are going to be traded on school buses and play yards!
I have this 8 oz container of Mod Podge as well as six containers of Plaid paint in six different beautiful shades of blue to give away. Leave a comment on this post, and I will choose a winner, using a random number generator, at midnight on Saturday. I'll announce the winner on Sunday. If the mood strikes you, feel free to share something that you collected or traded as a kid.
* updated * Contest expired. Thanks to all who participated!
And, be on the lookout for more Story Trading Discs to pop up in this space in the coming weeks.
p.s. Thanks, Amy!
Labels: crafts, giveaway, kids, tutorial